Sunday, August 30, 2020

Another KN95 mask mod

As an experiment, I cut the ear loops of one of my KN95 masks, and then made them join very snugly behind the head with rubber bands. I found that both comfort and fit improved greatly: I tested this while rock climbing. I expect this might work for surgical-style masks as well.

Important note: If you do this, strengthen the ear loop joints with Shoe Goo or some other goopy adhesive first, or they will likely not withstand the added pressure.

An optional improvement I made later is to add a clasp to the lower strap to make it easier to put on despite the loop being tight. Here are my 3D printing files. If you don't have a 3D printer, you could probably make a clasp out of a paperclip.

This is a lot of work for a disposable mask. But I reuse them.

No comments: