Saturday, July 13, 2013

YouTube talks on Principle of Sufficient Reason and on the measure problem in cosmology

For most of the week I was at the Santa Cruz Philosophy of Cosmology institute. Thursday I gave a talk on the Principle of Sufficient Reason and on the measure problem in cosmology for multiverses. These talks and many talks by smart people are available here. Click on "Program", then scroll down close to the bottom to Thursday 7/11 if you want mine.

Or just click right here for part 1 and part 2 of my talk on Youtube.

Here are the slides to part 1 (cosmological argument) and part 2 (measure problem).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just reading the slides (the videos seem to be unavailable at the moment), but I didn't see where you showed the in-principle insoluble measure problem for infinite multiverse theories. Did I miss it? I'd love to see that :)

Alexander R Pruss said...

That's in the second set of slides.

Alexander R Pruss said...

Looks like they omitted the second set of slides. I just posted them.

Anonymous said...

Ah awesome, thanks :)

ozero91 said...

In the first video, what was the whole disagreement about science about? Was the objection that science aims to predict rather than explain? I'm not sure about experimental physics publications, but peer-reviewed experimental biology related publications almost always have a "Discussion" section where they provide possible explanations for the results and postulate further experiments.

As a bit of constructive criticism in regard to your first set of slides, perhaps you could include an overview slide, which shows the audience the general structure of your presentation, like a preview.

Alexander R Pruss said...

An overview slide is a nice idea. There is a very rough (three point) overview on the top of each slide, too (not on the printable version I posted, I think).

FikraZaKSmooth said...

It seems like these slides are no longer available to download, the links ahow an error. Is there any way you could make them available again? I've been watching these talks, and I would love to see your slides along with it.
-Kelton Azuara-Walker

Alexander R Pruss said...

They're up now.